&noscript=1"" />

How to start planning a house extension

How to start planning a house extension

If you want a more spacious house, you have two alternatives; improve or move. The first option is expensive and hectic. So, it is an obvious choice for most homeowners to “improve” through house extension.

If you want a more spacious house, you have two alternatives; improve or move. The first option is expensive and hectic. So, it is an obvious choice for most homeowners to “improve” through house extension.

A house extension can be an ideal way to add some desire square footage to your property. Whether you are looking for a simple kitchen extension, or are considering to go all out with a full, double-story build, read this guide below on how to plan your house extension.

How much may a house extension cost?

A side return extension or simply a kitchen extension may cost somewhere around £30K-£50K. But a two-story extension may cost upwards of £75K. Indeed, the exact cost of your extension will depend on build specifications, the intended size of the extension, and the quality of materials.

Before adding an extension to increase your property’s value, don’t forget to check the ceiling prices in your area. Indeed, you don want to spend more than the house is worth. So, it’s advisable to do prior research if you plan to sell your home in the near future.

Planning permission for House extension

Though you don’t always necessarily have to seek planning permission for a house extension, you may need it if:

  • You may exceed your permitted development rights with this extension.
  • You reside in a conservation area.
  • You reside in a listed building.
  • The extension will cover more than half the area of land around the original house.

Permitted development rights will enable you to carry out a specific amount of construction work and changes without having to make a planning application. However, there are specific rules and conditions, including:

  • The rear wall of a detached property can be extended by up to 8m to the rear of the home, for a single-storey extension.
  • For a two-storey extension, a rear wall cannot be extended more than 3m.
  • The rear wall of a semi-detached or terraced property can only be extended by up to 6m.
  • A single-storey extension must not be any higher than 4m at the ridge and the eaves.
  • The ridge height of any extension must not be higher than the existing home.
  • A double story extension must not be closer than 7m to the rear boundaries.

However, these rules may vary in different localities, so make sure you check with your own planning department. Any leading extension builder can help you with these planning considerations.

Building regulations for an extension

Every building project, including house extensions, must comply with building regulations, whether you acquire a planning commission or not. Building regulations include various factors like drainage, fire safety, insulation, plumbing, and electric safety, besides many others.

As a property owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your house extension conforms to the existing building regulations. You have to appoint building control independently from the builder to keep the transparency. You may either employ someone to review the build from your council or can hire a private firm for this. This inspection should begin at the start of the project as it comes at various intervals to review the work done. Then, the building control certificate will be issued once the build is complete.

To live on-site or get other accommodation

As the house extension work is underway, you have to decide whether or not you plan to stay in the property while the work is being carried out. Usually, it is possible to stay on-site throughout the project. However, it may also prolong the completion time of the project.

Besides, prepare yourself to live amidst dust, noise, and mess. But if you prefer not to live with this inconducive condition, then it’s best to find alternative accommodation. You have several options including:

  • Staying in a short-term rental
  • Moving in with friends or family
  • Staying in a hotel
  • Travelling during the work is being carried out